Quick Links | Get Fit
EXERCISE HELPS YOU FEEL GOOD & LOOK GOOD
Today’s lifestyle is such that most people are working extensive hours, travelling, socialising, staying active on social media, eating erratically, working out randomly and suffering from sleep deprivation. To fill the image of a successful person and to keep up with what’s happening next is taking an immense toll on urbanite health.
I see people struggle with stress, anxiety and anger issues. The quick fix is either to go on medication or resort to excessive drinking. But how long can the body stand this abuse. Fitness is a simple formula. It’s about being kind to yourself, creating balance and setting and working on consistent health goals. Yes it requires work and no, nobody else can do it for you.
And whether you like it or not, to be fit and healthy is critical to your mental functioning. You cannot give your optimum to the work you do at the expense of your body. The moment your body starts to fail, everything else that you deem more important will suffer. To perform better and to retain your competitive edge, it is important that maintain discipline in all areas of your life, especially your physical fitness.
Here are five simple reasons why it is important to make exercise a part of your life:
• Staying fit helps you deal better with stress and keeps cortisol levels in check. Exercising regularly helps you stay away from anxiety, depression, headaches, memory and concentration problems, heart disease, trouble sleeping and weight gain. It also helps prevent burn out for executives and entrepreneurs on the go.
• Regular exercise helps build cognitive skills and behaviours and helps you perform more efficiently and effectively. When you focus on your exercise and diet your brain benefits making your cognitive functions sharper.
• You release toxins when you sweat during exercise. This helps the body detoxify and lowers stress hormones. Your skin will glow, tighten and feel radiant. Exercise helps you feel good and look good.
• Posture and body language says a lot about a person. Fitness is a major confidence booster. And it clearly shows in people who exercise regularly.
• Exercising for 2.5 hours a week can greatly reduce your risk of lifestyle diseases such as diabetes and cardiovascular ailments.
Being healthy and taking charge of your wellness begins with simple acts of self love. In addition to regular exercise and a healthy diet, I would also strongly recommend that every person takes 10-15 minutes of ‘me time’ where you are simply sitting comfortably in silence, either in meditation or just focusing on your breath.
Sandesh Palungwa Limbu is a certified professional fitness instructor, founder of RAGE Fitness, and also specialises in mixed martial arts. For answers to your fitness queries, write to him at firstname.lastname@example.org