Quick Links | Eat Wise
Health benefits of wheatgrass
We have all come to know that wheatgrass is a powerhouse of nutrition. It is one of natures purest elixir. As the name implies, it is part of the wheat family, however, it does not contain gluten; it has been sprouted and no longer carries gluten or other allergic agents. Often consumed freshly cut and juiced for optimal absorption and instant energy, wheatgrass is an amazing source of vitamin A and C, amino acids like glutathione. Here are a few reasons why it should be a part of your daily diet:
1. Wheatgrass helps combat against harmful bacteria and strengthens immunity and controls cholesterol.
2. Wheatgrass has the amazing ability to help purify the body, removing toxins, heavy metals and cancer-causing agents from the liver and bloodstream.
3. Wheatgrass stimulates the thyroid gland which helps boost the body’s metabolism assisting in weight loss.
4. Wheatgrass enemas are considered one of the better forms of colonics, giving your body the ability to immediately absorb and retain all of the wonderful vitamins and nutrients it possesses. It has been used to relieve gastro-related issues because of its natural ability to promote healthy blood and purify the body.
5. In a 2010 study, results showed that when wheatgrass was introduced to a high-fat diet, it had a significant reduction in bad cholesterol as well as a positive improvement in good cholesterol (HDL). It also dilates the blood pathways which reduces blood pressure. The study also showed a significant rise in the appearance of Vitamin C and glutathione. Glutathione is one of our bodies most powerful antioxidants and is concentrated mostly in the liver, making it an essential part of the body’s natural detoxifying processes.
6. With more vitamin C than oranges and two times the amount of vitamin A than carrots, adding wheatgrass into your diet will help fight against the common colds, flu as well as preventing your body from contacting more serious threads of the same viruses such as bronchitis. A 2oz shot packs all these benefits and is a natural alternative to getting a flu shot. Be sure not to overdo it as some people have found that over-consumption of fresh wheatgrass has made them nauseous.
9. Having a 2oz shot of wheatgrass before exercise or soon after any form of physical activity can help build endurance. This is because of it’s ability to supply red blood cells to the whole body which in turn oxygenates every cell.
10. As wheatgrass possess the ability to promote oxygenation within the body, it is also able to do so with the air around you. Place a tray of wheatgrass beside your bed to help promote a better night’s sleep or have a tray at your desk to help purify that recycled office air, helping to keep you more alert.
11. Wheatgrass is easy to take. It can be consumed through a variety of methods. Fresh, powdered or in capsule form; there is an easy and convenient method for everyone. However, it is proven that having wheatgrass freshly juiced within 15 minutes is the best way to receive all of its amazing benefits.