Health Question Answers February Issue


DOLLY SINGH, proprietor of Dolly’s Exquisite Creations, will answer all your beauty and makeup queries. Contact her at 4445080.
DOLLY SINGH, proprietor of Dolly’s Exquisite Creations, will answer all your beauty and makeup queries. Contact her at 4445080.

I have fair and sensitive skin. If I stay out in the sun too long or go on a motorcycle drive I immediately get marks on the skin of my cheek bones despite using sun block. I have shown myself to a dermatologist who couldn’t help me very much. Now I avoid these conditions, but still sometimes I do get exposed to sunlight and pollution. My question is will applying foundation help my condition by giving added protection, or are there better alternatives. I would also like to know what facial would suit me best as I have sensitive and dry skin. Are there any home remedies that could help me? – – Binisha Rana

The high levels of air pollution cause defects in the functioning of our external skin barrier and that’s what lies at the heart of the ageing process of the skin as well the discolouration of the skin. The first step in dealing with this problem is repairing the skin barrier, secondly we need to dampen the inflammation, with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory. Evening is the most important. Double cleanse with your face wash making sure that all of the pollution is removed, and then regular facials to deep clean and good exfoliation to dissolve the dead surface layers where any pollution is trapped is required.

Ideally it’s always good to use mineral based products which are not damaging to your skin. Also keep it to the minimum. Please ensure that your skin is always covered with SPF. I would advise you to come and have our natural peel treatments done as this will reduce the appearance of the marks.

An effective home remedy would be to take a spoon of cucumber juice and mix it with half a lemon. Add a pinch of powdered turmeric to the juice and make a paste. Apply all over the face and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse and then moisturise.
For more information please contact me at Dolly’s.

Dr. Veena Shrivastava is a Professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Nepal Medical College and Gynaecologist in Nepal International Clinic. Send her your queries at


My husband is 40 years old and I am 26. We have been married for four years and are unable to conceive. We visited a fertility specialist who asked us to undergo examinations and tests. My reports were normal, but my husband’s sperm count is very low and there are issues with the quality of his sperm for ART. He has gone into depression and gets angry if I raise the issue. Meanwhile I have to listen to his parents complain about me with relatives about our inability to give them a grandchild. I would like to know what are the options available to me… Will it be ever possible for me to have a child of our own? – Name withheld

Your situation is lightly complicated because your family members are not aware of the actual facts. First of all, I will suggest your husband to meet a fertility counselor, who can explain the situation better and also can explain other options available. This will help him to get over the frustration he is going through. Then, I will suggest you to discuss with your husband to disclose the real facts to your family members.

Nowadays a lot can be done, even when sperm quality is not very good. I hope you have consulted a good infertility centre. Again, if your husband’s sperms are not acceptable for ART, good quality Donor’s sperms are always available. With the consent of your husband you can always go for this.


My mother in law suffers from high blood pressure and has been on medication for many years. She has regular checkups and despite care about her food and lifestyle, she suffered from chest pain recently. Fearing it could be a heart attack we rushed her to the hospital and the angiogram test revealed that she has blockages in two of her arteries. She has been advised to have a stent placed at some point in the near future. But we are really anxious about her health as ever since she has learnt of her condition, she has become very frail. Why and when is stent required? Is this a successful method of treatment? Are there other non invasive alternatives?  – Raksha Lama

Dr Bharat Rawat is MD, DM, FACC, Chief of Cardiology at the Norvic International Hospital. Send your queries related to heart health to
Coronary artery disease may develop because of multiple factors like hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, smoking or family history. If she had chest pain and angiography showed tight blockades (more than 70-80 percent) then she would benefit from angioplasty and stenting. The best advantage of angioplasty/ stenting is during a heart attack.

Depending on how much is the chest pain on walking, how tight is the blockade, which artery is blocked and few other factors, a cardiologist may decide about urgency of angioplasty. Sometimes a bypass surgery might give better long term results especially if finance is an issue.

On the other hand if a person is relatively free of chest pain on walking, is able to walk about 30-40 minutes with ease, can do normal daily activities without need of stopping because of chest discomfort, then it may be fine to continue just with medications. These days there are many good medications which can control the symptoms and disease. Good healthy life style including diet, mood, yoga, pranayam, meditation all will help regardless of whatever treatment she undergoes.

All blockades certainly don’t need stents!


My 20 year old daughter has anxiety issues. She lost her father very early when she was just 10. I have raised her solely to the best of my efforts and tried to be there for her all the time. The problem is that she suffers from anxiety and even has had two episodes of panic attacks. She fears new situations and lacks confidence in trying new things. I encourage her to make friends and do the things most girls her age love, but she is quiet and introverted. She is happier at home than anywhere else. I worry about her mental development and whether she is prepared to lead a normal adult life. She has done alright in her studies but was never keen on extracurricular activities. She has no obvious career preference till now. I try and spend time talking about these things to her but she gets agitated. How can I help her? Does she need professional counseling? Please help. – Namrata

Dr. Ajit Kumar Gurung, MD; DPM has been working as a consultant psychiatrist since the last 16 years. He is Psychiatrist Consultant at Norvic International Hospital; Head of Department and Senior Consultant Psychiatrist at Department of Psychiatry, Nepal Police Hospital; and Consultant for Alcohol and Drug Rehabilitation Centre ‘Ashara’.
Dr. Ajit Kumar Gurung, MD; DPM has been working as a consultant psychiatrist since the last 16 years. He is Psychiatrist Consultant at Norvic International Hospital; Head of Department and Senior Consultant Psychiatrist at Department of Psychiatry, Nepal Police Hospital; and Consultant for Alcohol and Drug Rehabilitation Centre ‘Ashara’.

As per the description provided by you, it seems that your daughter is an introvert and has very little interest in extracurricular activities. Many people assume that introverts are quiet and do not get along with people, but, being an introvert is only a personality trait and many successful people are introverts.

One should understand that a student’s involvement in extracurricular activities is good as it is beneficial both for physical and mental health but at the same time it is not important to be equally active and successful in extracurricular activities along with your studies. Your daughter seems to have phobic (especially social phobia) anxiety disorder with episodic panic attacks. She also had an emotional trauma during childhood which is a significant stressor. Your concerns regarding her are relevant, and as a mother you should continue supporting and consoling her. I would like to advise you to seek a help from a professional counselor with whom she can share her inner difficulties and the exact reason behind her problem so that a solution can be developed to help her overcome the current difficulties. If that does not help, then you should seek help from a psychiatrist who will further help in providing an in-depth analysis and solution to your daughter’s problem.


I am a healthy 24 year old but have issues with bleeding gums for the past few months. I visited my dentist who showed me the right brushing technique and cleaned my teeth professionally. But even after the visit two months ago, my situation remains the same. I still suffer from bad breath and bleeding gums. What could be wrong? –  Diksha Pradhan

Dr Neil Pande MD & CEO Healthy Smiles, Dental Surgeon,
Dr Neil Pande
MD & CEO Healthy Smiles, Dental Surgeon,

Bleeding Gums is a result of an inflammation caused due to some deposits between the gums and the teeth. If the bleeding is persisting even after a thorough cleaning, it would be wise to visit gum specialists. They are known as Periodontists and will be able to solve the problem through deep subgingival scaling and root surface debridement. Use of lasers in the pockets have been aiding in the removal of diseased tissue as well. Even after this treatment, if the problem does not resolve, they may advise flap surgery which is basically performed under a local anesthesia and helps in an easy access of all the surfaces of teeth and the bone that holds it. Whatever it is, bleeding gums must always be treated with urgency and if treated on time, will help in preventing tooth loss and many other diseases as well..