Quick Links | bridal corner
Mehendi the art of henna
By: Priya Kabo
The intricate and beautiful mehendi designs on a bride does not just complete her look, but holds deep traditional significance. The darker the henna sits on her body, the more her husband will love her, it is believed. While this is just a saying might with little reality, every bride does wants her bridal mehendi to have a deep, rich colour.
Neeraj and Anita Niroula own INCA’S Mehendi and Beauty Parlour in Jamal. The duo teach and train numerous students in the art of mehendi design and application. What sets them apart from the competition is that they make their own mehendi which is 100% organic mixed with organic clove oil and Nilgiri oil sourced from South India providing the best results.
Listed are their top tips to ensure that your mehendi is dark and long-lasting:
- Always use natural henna as it lasts longer than the ones with chemicals added to it. Natural mehendi comes out darker and will leave you with a more beautiful colour too. Plus its safe for all skin types.
- Before sitting down for your mehendi application, make sure you wash your hands and feet with soap. This is a prerequisite as any dirt or oil will hinder its absorption.
- Use lemon and sugar. This is the most common mix that helps in darkening the henna. Mix some sugar with lemon juice and use a cotton ball to apply it on your hands and feet after the henna dries up. This helps darken the mehendi although it may take longer to dry. The longer the mehendi stays on your skin, the better the results.
- Do not wash off the mehendi, scrape the dried off mehendi and stay away from water as much as you can.
- Before going to bed at night, make sure to apply vaseline all over the mehendi to protect the colour. Apply generously!
- Lastly, it is vital that you have your mehendi done two days prior to your wedding. After application, leave it on for at least 6-7 hours and a maximum of 12 hours in order to get a rich colour.
For intricate and personalised mehendi art work, call: 9849218686, 9808733103. Or visit INCA’S Mehendi and Beauty Parlour, Jamal Chowk, 4th floor M.L Building, Kathmandu.